When it comes to choosing the best socks for hiking, you’ll want to keep a list of specific criteria in mind.
Are you a thru-hiker looking for the best socks for long hikes, or are you especially prone to blisters and want the best waterproof socks for hiking?
You’ll also need to consider basic things like price range, overall comfort, and quality.
So here, we’ll help you narrow down your options by breaking down the top-rated socks for hiking on the market!
Whether you’re looking for the best hiking socks for men, women, or a type that’s even more specific, this list has you covered!
7. WANDER Men’s Outdoor Sports Hiking Trekking Classic Crew Socks
Ideal for: Men
These sturdy socks are made of a cotton/poly blend with just 3 percent spandex.
This results in both comfort and effectiveness on the trail.
The ribbed top and arch support ensure that they won’t slouch, slip, or wad up.
While these are some of the best socks for hiking boots on the current market, they’re also versatile enough for everyday wear.
- Efficient design helps socks stay in place without restricting movement
- Cotton/poly blend ensures warmth but not overheating
- Suitable for everyday wear
- Comfortable weave
- Variety of color choices
- Not ideal if you prefer a shorter sock
- You may need additional insulation in winter
6. SEOULSTORY7 Women Mid Cushion Low Hiking/Camping/Performance Socks
Ideal for: Women
The mid-weight cushioning in these socks gives hikers extra support in the heel and on the ball of the foot.
This benefit, coupled with the blister-defying stretch, and weave of the cotton and spandex blend, makes the SEOULSTORY sock an ideal choice for long days on the trail.
Though you should know they’re not the best hiking socks for hot weather.
In addition to being the best hiking socks for women, they’re excellent for snowboarding, snowshoeing, and climbing.
- Compressed top helps the sock stay up and secure
- Customized “Y-heel tab” for easy removal
- Sufficient thickness and insulation for winter use
- Attractive color and design
- Seams meet right at the front of the toe, which can lead to discomfort for some people
- Too warm for casual wear during summer months
5. DANISH ENDURANCE Merino Wool Hiking Socks Crew for Summer and Fall
Ideal for: Hot Weather
The merino wool and acrylic blend in the DANISH ENDURANCE crew sock keep your feet cool on the warmest days.
This makes them the best socks for hiking in hot weather.
They’re also strong enough to stand up to long distances, with padding throughout the arch and heel that helps prevent blistering.
This is a major concern if you sweat a lot.
- Temperature controlled with “air ventilation lanes” and moisture wicking
- Lightweight enough to be worn beneath steel-toed boots
- Strong and durable
- Suitable for everyday use
- Bright colors can sometimes bleed out onto the skin during wear, especially after repeated washings
- Only 33% merino wool
- Fit can be awkward
4. Darn Tough Vermont Hiker Boot Full Cushion Sock
Ideal for: Thru-Hiking
The Darn Tough brand offers a lifetime guarantee, which should tell serious thru-hikers all they need to know about their confidence in this product.
The mid-length socks are made of merino wool and nylon, with 4 percent Lycra for elasticity.
Long-time users attest that these are some of the best socks for hiking in all conditions.
This stands even if you’ve waded across streams or trekked across a snowy tundra.
- Some of the best socks for long hikes
- Lifetime guarantee
- Easy to clean
- Superior blend ensures a good fit for all foot types
- The full cushion is too thick to fit some types of boot
3. Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium Crew
Ideal for: Winter Hiking
Smartwool is a big name in the winter hiking and camping industry, and with good reason.
The customized construction method of the PhD line makes these some of the best socks for hiking.
These come with added reinforcement in the heel and the ball of the foot, where it’s needed most.
They also have enough stretch to keep them in place during long winter treks.
- Excellent quality
- Versatile enough to keep your feet warm on the trail without overheating during daily wear
- Construction allows for good performance as well as comfort
- Sizes run small
2. DexShell Waterproof & Breathable Hiking/Trekking Socks
Ideal for: (Preventing) Blisters
If you’re prone to blisters, give the DexShell model a try!
Equipped with a water-resistant Porelle membrane and a cushioned footbed, these socks will keep you both comfortable and free of hot spots.
Trekkers who are seeking the best waterproof socks for hiking would do well to consider these as well.
- Best socks for hiking if you usually develop blisters
- Fully waterproof
- Limited color selection
Suggested: You might also be interested in some waterproof hiking shoes to go with these waterproof socks!
1. Sockwell Ascend II Moderate Graduated Compression Socks
Ideal for: Compression Socks for Hiking
These compression socks—made of merino wool and nylon blend—can be worn for walking, running, and biking as well as on the trail.
The fit is snug as befits a compression sock, helping promote good circulation.
They also help minimize swelling.
- Odor control
- Good cushioning and arch support
- Secure fit
- Should not be worn if you’ve been advised against using compression socks
It can be difficult to determine the best socks for hiking without a clear picture of your individual needs.
However, if I had to narrow down my choice to just a single pair on this list, I would select the Darn Tough Vermont sock.
In addition to being comfortable and versatile, these are equipped with a lifetime guarantee to back up their good qualities.
If you’ve tried any of the models on our list and want to add your two cents regarding the best socks for hiking, feel free to share your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!
Recommended Read: The Great Outdoors – a great source of information for all your outdoors adventures!