Gone are the days of stuffing some clothes into a bag or rolling up your jacket to sleep on it. Pillows are so portable now that you can even take them camping with you. Or even better, you can get yourself the best camping pillow, one specially made for this!
If you don’t want to be bringing along a large foam pillow with you on your travels, then taking an inflatable pillow is the next best thing.
You can blow them up so they will support your neck while you sleep. Then, deflate them to fit in a small bag so you can pack it all up and hit the track again!
Below, I’ve made a list of the best camping pillow picks – both inflatable and foam-filled ones – it’s all up to you!
The Best Inflatable, Blow-Up Camping Pillows
8. Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow Ultralight
It only takes a few breaths to inflate this pillow from Rest-A-Camp up to its full of 15” x 12” x 4.5” size.
Also, it deflates down to about a third of that (5.2” x 3.9” x 2”) and it only weighs 4oz. So it certainly won’t take up too much space.
The cover can be removed from the bladder – so you can wash it if it gets dirty or wet.
Its cover is made from soft, high-quality TPU fabric so that you’ll feel comfortable all through the night.
The only negative mentioned is that it can be a little tricky to access the valve in order to inflate or deflate the pillow.
- Removable and washable cover
- Can be compressed right down to 2” x 3.9” x 2”
- Easy to fold and pack in the tiny included bag
- Some reports of it not really holding air – valve-related issues
7. Rugged Camp Camping Pillow
With any air pillows, the valve is a major feature that should be designed properly, and Rugged Camp has really accomplished this with its Dual Valve.
Simply open the first valve to inflate and to compress the pillow and the free the second valve to let all the air out again.
Once deflated, this camping pillow shrinks down to 5” and only weighs 2.75oz.
When fully expanded, it measures 16” x 12” x 4”. Also, its ribbed form on top is there to provide extra comfort and support.
The top cover also claims to be puncture-proof as it is made from knitted cotton. So it shouldn’t pop even when (if) used in harsh conditions.
- Dual Valve – an inflate valve and a decompression one
- Puncture Proof fabric on the cover
- Includes small multi-tool
- Comes with a Full Replacement Warranty
- Some reports that it doesn’t hold the inflation – Rugged Camp offer replacements for faulty products
6. Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow
This is one of the most portable, best camping pillow picks for anyone looking to simply put the pillow in the backpack and just go!
Trekology’s pillow is great for use while camping or during long flights. That’s because it should really be lightweight and roll up to fit in the smallest of spaces.
The Trekology Ultralight pillow deflates to a tiny 5” x 2” and weighs only 3.5oz. It can be slotted into any space and shouldn’t affect your bag too much. Also, when fully inflated, it spans up to 16” x 12” x 4” in size.
This pillow features a ribbed pattern to provide more comfort. It also has a detachable strap to keep it connected to an air mattress so it doesn’t slide around while you’re sleeping.
The only complaint, which is common with a lot of inflatable products, is that it doesn’t hold air well and can start to deflate after a few minutes of use.
- Packs down to 5” x 2” and only weighs 3.5 oz. – perfect for backpacking trips
- Advertised to only take a few breaths to inflate
- Comes with a Quick Deflate feature so you don’t spend too long waiting after it
- Reported to deflate while in use – the customer support seems to be very attentive and ready to replace immediately
5. Nemo Fillo Inflatable Travel Pillow with Fabric Cover
Crafted from three components, this Nemo Fillo Pillow has an inflatable bladder, a layer of foam, and a soft polyester pillow cover.
It measures 17” x 11” x 4” when fully inflated and 4”x6” when completely compressed.
Weighing in at 9oz., it is the heaviest of all the inflatable pillows on this list. Still, this is due to the 5oz. layer of foam. If you’re willing to remove that extra comfort, then you can do so and shed some weight.
As it is inflatable pillow, it’s your choice as to how firm you want it to be.
Either fully inflate it for a firmer rest or deflate it slightly for a more relaxed feel.
The only downside to this pillow is the fabric cover – it has been reported to make a lot of noise and if you’re also using an inflatable mattress, the two fabrics could slide around a bit too much.
- Measures 4”x6” when packed away
- Includes a layer of foam for extra comfort
- Removable and washable pillowcase
- Some reports of its having a slight smell – simply remove the components and let it all air out
Suggested: The Best Sleeping Pads Specially for YOU!
The Best Foam-Stuffed, Compact Camping Pillows
Unlike the inflatable pillows above, the items below are actually stuffed pillows as you would have in your bedroom. Still, they usually have less filling or different stuffing materials.
Also, compact camping pillows aren’t as small as inflatable options when compressed – but do they usually provide more comfort in return.
4. REDCAMP Small Camping Pillow
Rolling up a jacket to use as a pillow is all good and well, but they’re never really that soft on the face.
Well, if you’re after a nice soft flannel texture, then this REDCAMP pillow could be the best camping pillow for you.
It is stuffed with a hollow fiber so it can be both plumped up to sleep on and compressed to fit in a bag for ease of transport.
This pillow also comes with a zippered pillowcase – that is machine washable – and a stuff sack to save space.
- Only weighs 11.2oz – very lightweight
- As its hollow fiber-filled, it can be flattened or fluffed up
- Comes with a 100% Money-Back Guarantee
- Small at only 16” x 12” x 3” – not the most luxurious size
3. TETON Sports Camp Pillow
Designed to couple up with their branded sleeping bags, this Sports Camp Pillow from TETON is ideal for those that like their pillows soft.
Stuffed with poly fiber filling, it can easily be rolled up for transportation – it compresses down to 4″ x 7″ x 9″.
Plus, with a weight of only 10oz., it’s very lightweight and almost perfect for any camping trips, including car camping.
When fully opened, it claims to measure 12” x 18”. But that’s overly generous as evidence states it actually measures 11” x 16”.
Reports state the stuffing is actually in two parts – so it can sometimes come apart at night and isn’t so good for side sleepers.
- Machine washable
- Very soft fabrics for extra comfort and warmth
- Poly fiber stuffing – no memory foam odor
- Reported to be quite lumpy and the filling can split in the bag
Suggested: The 10 Best Sleeping Bags For Cold Weather
2. Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow
This Wise Owl Outfitters Pillow comes in three sizes; Small (12” x 16”), Medium (14” x 18”), and Large (16” x 23”).
Also, no matter the size, the pillow will compact to about half its uncompressed size. These pillows are all stuffed with cross-cuts of memory foam. The pillow itself has a micro-suede cover for extra luxury.
As with most camping accessories, this pillow will probably get a bit dirty, so it’s a good thing that this is machine washable and can be put the dryer for a full refresh.
The only real downside to this model is the size of it. Even when compressed, it still isn’t very small its sizes reaching up to 12″ x 7″. Thus, they’re not overly effective for backpackers but more for long term campers.
- Micro-suede for extra comfort
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- Comes with 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Occasional reports of the seam splitting or starting to tear after moderate use
1. Coop Home Goods – Adjustable Travel/Camping Pillow
Filled with cross-cut memory foam, this pillow from Coop Home Goods is probably the closest thing to home. It measures a large 19” x 14” when fully opened and can really fluff up well for comfort.
In order to get this pillow to its smallest size (11″ x 6″) the manufacturer has included a compression stuff sack.
So it is possible to shrink it all the way down to fit in even the smallest of backpacks.
It weighs 36 oz., which makes it the heaviest model on this list. But for those that want true comfort when camping or a good sleep on an airplane, then this could easily be the best one for them!
The only downside to this pillow is that there are a lot of reports that it has a chemical smell – it really just the memory foam. If you put it the dryer for 5 minutes, it should start disappearing.
- Measures 19″ x 14″ when uncompressed so quite big for a travel pillow
- Memory foam stuffing to keep you comfortable
- Water-resistant stuff sack so it compresses all the way down to 11” x 6”
- Weighs 36 oz. which is very heavy for a pillow and especially heavy if you’re trying to shed weight from a backpack
So that was it, the list of the best camping pillow picks – both the inflatable and the compact type – which should help make your sleep all the more comfortable and resting.
Which of these are you going to get for your next outdoor adventure or are you already using one? Comment and share your opinions on them!
Recommended Read: The 7 Best Camping Cots for Comfier Camping